The firefighters took her back to a waiting ambulance, where Nala was dried off and warmed up while they contacted her owners. When they arrived, they loaded her up in their car and took her to the vet. Firefighters at the scene believe she will be okay, the best possible result from a winter rescue.
Those at the scene believe this story is a good reminder to keep your pets safe this winter. Don't leave your pets unattended, and if your pet does end up in cold water or another dangerous predicament, don't try to rescue them yourself. Emergency responders have the equipment and skill to save your animal if possible.
Take a look at gate locks, the condition of your doors and windows and other possible ways of running away, and consider taking a close look at electric pet fence packages. Keep leashes on your pets when out of the house. Your pet is special—keep them safe this winter!