Grapes & Raisins. Grapes and raisins are a very serious threat to dogs, but often unknown to most pet owners. While veterinarians haven't yet determined what causes the toxicity to dogs, the results have been proven: grapes cause acute kidney failure in dogs. It happens so fast, many owners don't have any idea why their animal is sick.
Symptoms of grape or raisin ingestion include: vomiting, diarrhea, food refusal, and abdominal pain.
Onions & Garlic. These particular ingredients (and their close cousins leeks and chives) are extremely toxic to both dogs and cats, and in fact, because they usually weigh less, cats and small dogs are much more sensitive.
When a dog eats one of these in enough quantity, they can develop anemia. Symptoms include: lethargy, pale skin, food refusal, and elevated heart and breathing rates.
Macadamia Nuts. Your favorite cookie or chocolate treat could be extra dangerous to your dog. While no one is sure what aspect of the nuts cause the toxicity, the symptoms are clear: muscle spasms, muscle and joint pain, and even temporary paralysis in the hindquarters.
The best way to keep your dog safe from these poisonous foods is to keep them far out of reach! If your pet does ingest one of these foods or you notice symptoms, take them to the vet immediately for quick treatment.